A charity bike ride in support of ‘WeLoveLichfield’ from ‘Little Ben’, the Clock Tower by The Bowling Green Island, Lichfield, to ‘Big Ben’, The Palace of Westminster, London.
- The ride will take place over 2 days on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th June 2018.
- Day 1 Following quiet UK cycle routes day 1 will end in Oxford city centre for an overnight stay.
- Day 2 will resume where day 1 ends and follow a cycle route into London.
The event NOT A RACE, but aimed at attracting 25 individuals (numbers limited) who are fit and able to complete the challenge AT THEIR OWN LIABILITY.
Support will be offered during the event but individuals should be prepared to ride as a group who all support one another on the quest is the tone and aim of the inaugural event!
Enrolment will be on a ‘first come’ basis (but there is a ‘reserve’ list!)
A trailing support vehicle will follow the slowest cyclist and collect anyone wishing to retire whilst offering minimal roadside repairs – punctures etc!
First Aid cannot be supplied and the event will take place on open public roads.
The suggested route will be published nearer to the event (and shared/available to download to an App). Refreshment points on each day and with specific end destination locations in both Oxford and London, the route will follow a quiet ‘cycle friendly’ route.
Saturday 16th June 2018 :
- (Meet at 8am on The Bowling Green Pub Car Park) Attendees register and handover maximum luggage (12kg – 1 small overnight bag or case) which will be transported to Oxford on day 1.
- 9AM. Event begins…cyclists leave The Bowling Green Pub Car Park pausing at ‘Little Ben’ for a commemorative photo-call!
- Refreshment points at approximately 35 and 55 miles will provide sustenance for cyclists.
- Day 1 ride ends in Broad Street, in Oxford City Centre (postcode) before riding on to Premier Inn,Oxford Business Park, Garsington Road, Oxford OX4 2JT
- Your entry fee includes overnight accommodation (B&B) in twin rooms sharing with a fellow event rider.
- An evening ‘social’ casual meeting location will be published for event attendees and followers to congregate if they wish.
- A Support Van will meet attendees at the end destinations to deliver overnight luggage to cyclists, and collect bikes for secure overnight storage although the Premier Inn rooms are ‘bike friendly.
Sunday 17th June 2018:
- Day 2 resumes the route from the Premier Inn Oxford Centre departing by 9am
- Entrants then return their overnight luggage to the support vans and collect their bicycles.
- Again, Refreshment points will provide sustenance for cyclists en-route
- Event Ends at the Churchill Statue, opposite Big Ben at The Palace of Westminster, London for a commemorative photo call!
- Cycles are collected (for return transit to Lichfield) and luggage exchanged
- The choice is then yours…stay in London and celebrate (a meeting point Pub will be confirmed) or head home under your own chosen mode of transport…get the train?
Little Ben to Big Ben…done!…A memorable achievement and fantastic leisure experience!
Commemorative Cycling Shirts will be issued before the event (please specify your size when enrolling)
Commemorative Medals will be issued at the event end destination
- Costs for Event attendees £95 (includes overnight accommodation (B&B) in twin rooms sharing with a fellow event rider + administration, refreshment facilities, ride support, luggage transportation memorabilia and bicycle return service)
- Attendees are requested to sign a pledge to raise a minimum of £200 in sponsorship for ‘WeLoveLichfield’
- Final destination details will be confirmed closer to the event, but support vans will assemble to collect bicycles and return overnight bags / luggage… Attendees are responsible for their own return travel from London, however Bicycles can be transported back to Lichfield, to Arthur Price of England for collection (between 9am and 4pm) the within the next 3 working days ie: by Weds 19th June.
- (Whilst every care will be taken, event co-ordinators can accept no responsibility for loss or damage to bicycles or belongings incurred during this event support).
- First Aid cannot be supplied and the event will take place on open public roads.
About the Charity
‘WeLoveLichfield’ is a local charity which builds a permanent endowment fund, the profits for which are then given to local community groups in and around Lichfield…from Fazeley in the south to Colton (north of Lichfield) and Clifton Campbell’s in the east to Burntwood, – west of Lichfield City. Visit www.welovelichfield.com (registered charity 1091628).
The Little Ben to Big Ben Ride could become an annual event and will be promoted and reported within the WeLoveLichfield area. It will feature within local press, radio & social media as newsworthy philanthropic activity around a popular sport, a great community cause and a huge sense of achievement for all involved, so why not participate in its inaugural year!